Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Long Awaited Return

Hey Everyone,

I know it's been a while since my last detailed update so I'm gonna make this a post without HHs and hopefully get back into the poker related posting within a week or two. A lot of things have happened in the past month or so and it's gonna take a little while to get through all of it, so here goes.

Unfortunately I have to start on a bad note, but one of the biggest updates for anyone who hasn't found out already is that my girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago. We'd been dating since our Junior year in high school so it wasn't easy for us to decide to end things, but she's in graduate school now and I'm putting a lot more time into working (more on this soon!) and playing poker, so we both sort of lost touch over the last few months. Thankfully we're still on good terms, and I expect to stay very good friends, which is awesome because although we both needed to get out of our relationship for the time being, it's never easy to end such a good thing after four years. I'm happy that it went as smoothly as it did, and seems to continue to be working out.

Moving forward from that, I'm going to be keeping myself busy studying for the Series 7, because upon passing I officially have a job with a prop trading firm starting at the end of this school year. I'm going out to Las Vegas (I know, it's awesome) on June 19th, and my first day in the office will be June 21st (I assume). I've already reserved a condo a few miles from the strip, and I'm staying there until the end of November. But what about school?!?!??? Don't worry, I'm not dropping out. I already had plans to graduate as early as December, but with this job opportunity, and the chance to live in Las Vegas among traders and poker players galore, I decided to take a leave of absence for fall quarter and finish classes in the winter. After this year I only have four more courses to complete, so I still might even graduate ahead of schedule.

So what all of this means is that the new two months are going to be the hardest of my life, most likely. First of all I have a bet with my roommate that I can wake up before him every day ($1 per day to the person who wakes up first) to keep my on schedule. Secondly, my jaw has been killing me because I need to get my wisdom teeth out (they're impacted, so it's basically like something is pushing all my teeth inwards from every side). Once that's taken care of (hopefully this week or next) I have to keep up on my classes (like econometrics...sigh), study daily for the Series 7, and still put in a ton of poker hands because I need to pay for my time in Vegas without any help from the parents. Thanks to a small loan from a good friend of mine who has to study for the MCATs I'm gonna be back to playing MSNL for at least the next few months, so I expect to make enough but I'm also expecting quite a grind. Now I know it doesn't sound like a hassle to put in time playing poker, but if I want to ensure that variance won't crush my hopes of Vegas, I need to put in a pretty significant amount of time the next two months playing and keeping sharp. For those of you who don't play poker much, I read a very good post the other day on twoplustwo.com that describes the difficulty of a poker lifestyle and I'd recommend taking some time to read it (it's not that long):

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=17984972&postcount=1

I think I've mentioned it on here before, but I'd like to post again that if anyone is planning on coming out to Vegas, I need roommates anytime from mid July through November. I think I've got a full house (or probably will) during the first month that I'm there because of the WSOP and all, but please get in touch with me if you're looking to make a trip to Vegas because I have a pretty nice place for a reasonable price, but it won't be so reasonable if I have to pay for the whole thing myself =\ Also, as most of you might know, I'm turning 21 in August and I'd love for anyone and everyone to come visit me in Vegas to celebrate. I think my high school buddies are coming out the weekend after my birthday (Aug 13-15) so anyone interested can plan accordingly.

I'm pretty sure that's all and I know it's written like a giant run-on sentence but I didn't plan this post out and it's a ton of stuff so I hope it's at least comprehensible. I'm off to study some more but I promise to come on here more often and give you guys some life updates and interesting HHs. Take care and gl.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment